Why Scripture Memorization? 5 Pros of Bible Memory
Why scripture memorization? Is it important? Will it make us a ‘better Christian? Why should I do this?
If you have children, you will most likely hear these questions at some point when you are teaching them the Bible and having them memorize scripture.
After all, memorizing something takes time and work. Time and work can keep someone from entertainment and ‘fun’. And that is why we need to know the importance of scripture memorization, why we need to be living it in front of them: making it part of ever day living so it isn’t ‘work’ or a ‘chore’ but something that is so integrated into our lives that it is second nature( before the first nature of mankind can attempt to take away the true beauty of scripture memorization.)
Today, we’re going to equip you with 5 Pro’s of Bible Memory – not just our words, but God’s words that you may be able to “write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.” (Deut 6:9 ESV)
1) Know God and Jesus
- Knowing God begins with the Word
- John 1:1 (KJV): “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”
- Jesus showed us the way to knowing the Father was by spending time with Him in his house
- Luke 2:49 (ESV): “And he said to them, “Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?”
2) Transform Your Life
- Renewing of the mind
- Romans 12:2 (KJV): “Do not be conformed to this world,[but be transformed bythe renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.”
- Correction and Instruction
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17 (KJV): “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works”
3) Grow in Wisdom
- Principle importance:
- Proverbs 4:5-7 (KJV) Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee. Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
- Is good for all to live and witness
- James 3:17 (KJV) But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
4) Equip and Encourage Believers
- Equip Believers:
- 2 Timothy 3:14-15 (ESV): “But as for you,continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
- Ephesians 4:11-16 (KJV): “And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.
- Encourage Believers
- 1 Thess 4:18 (KJV): “Wherefore comfort one another with these words”
- 1 Peter 4:11 (KJV): “If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.”
5) Share hope with unbelievers
- Share Hope
- 1 Peter 3:15 (KJV): But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear”
- 1 John 4:16 (KJV): And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
At BM4K our system is simple. As a homeschooling mother of four children, I know the importance of time management and our product will not have you out searching for suggested extras for hours on end. In fact, everything you need to utilize this curriculum is available in an instant download the minute you checkout of our eStore.
The weekly setup is straightforward and set up very clearly with the first two planing pages. You can view the product overview for a quick glance at what to expect, or view the monthly detail for a more specific outline of each weekly verse.
Each verse is taught over a four day schedule, however you can adapt this to suit your needs. Our products work for homeschooling families as well as Sunday School settings.